Re: Possibly moving Debian services to a CDN

]] Russ Allbery

> Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> writes:
>
> >> Ultimately, we are of the opinion that the content delivery problem is a
> >> solved one
>
> > But apparently not one solved by free software included in Debian.
> > Perhaps it's worth avoiding using it if that will help encourage the
> > development of libre alternatives.

Quite a few of the CDNs use free software.  Both Varnish and squid are
used, for instance.

> CDNs aren't really software problems.  They're infrastructure and network
> peering problems.  I think all the software required is in Debian, but the
> data centers, peering arragements, route advertisements, and so forth are
> things that only make sense to do at a larger scale than a single project.

This is the main reason.  The commercial CDNs are in a position where
they have more manpower and can scale better than we can because of volume.

> We can do a home-brewed CDN -- that, after all, is what the various
> services referenced in the original message are.  But one of the
> commercial CDNs will have better performance and better load distribution
> than one can do with software-only solutions without the peering setup and
> data center distribution.

We are already running CDNs, multiple of them: The mirror network, the
security archive network, the web pages and a few more.  What we don't
have is the manpower and the infrastructure to run and maintain this as
well as a CDN that does this as its primary business.

--
Tollef Fog Heen