Re: Can CC BY 2.0 be upgraded to 3.0 ?

Ok, I'm not sure how I could not see that you meant this before.  I understand
the point now.  Thanks for the explanation.

I still don't understand the problem, however.  With clause 4b, I can include
any significant piece of code to the work, thereby creating a derivative work,
which I can then relicense under CC BY 3.0.  After doing that, I can modify
that work again by removing the code.  Every step should be fine, and the
result is that I relicensed the code of the original work as CC BY 3.0.

It would seem to me that the fact that this is legally possible means that we
don't actually have to do those steps (who can check if we did, anyway?), and
relicensing is simply allowed.

Then again, lawyers are weird, so I may be wrong.

Thanks,
Bas