Re: Slowdown problem of a Debian package

Hello again,

Ron, I explained that the privilege of the database directory
is left to the system administrator. You can change it as you
like (user id, group id, permission, or etc).
The purpose of 'bless.sh' script is to separate two permissions,
that is, for running htags and for updating database referenced
by CGI programs.  So, if the database is writable, administrative
privilege is not needed for running htags.

As for 'bless.sh' script, though I know that it looks strange,
there is no root user who invokes it without reading. It is
important that it is essentially one line script and can be
understood in 10 seconds. He will do the same thing by his hand.
The method of using UNIX file system as a key-value database
is a way which is used by 'qmail' etc. No file format
(no interpretation) is the best for security.

Is the problem solved? Are any other problems left behind?
It is obscure for me.

Supposing your not answering, I would like to say as follows:

Now, I would like to expect that somebody in the Debian community
take over the maintenance job and release 'Better GLOBAL' as
he want. It may include the programs by Ron and Taisuke.
I know that they are very motivated things.

On the contrary, I am thinking of the ending support of system
CGI by htags, because it is rarely used, and is not so important
as a tagging system.

Thank you.

Regards,
Shigio
--
Shigio YAMAGUCHI <shigio@gnu.org>
PGP fingerprint: D1CB 0B89 B346 4AB6 5663  C4B6 3CA5 BBB3 57BE DDA3