Re: Virtual images of historic Linux releases

On Thursday, June 20, 2013 04:37:04, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering, and Google did not help me: Is there a curated
> collection of virtual machines with historic Linux installations
> somewhere?

I had a quick look and found a set for VirtualBox:

   http://virtualboxes.org/images/debian/

but I haven't found a VM image for Woody.

> I’d imagine that it would be very interesting to boot a Debian woody
> again and use Gnome1 and GIMP1 for a while, or see how modern websites
> look in Netscape from 1998.

Well, _theoretically_ that might be possible because every version of Debian
is available from archive.debian.org:

   http://archive.debian.org/debian/dists/

However actually browsing the _internet_ is more difficult than it sounds,
because the virtual network drivers that are available today in the VM host
software need to contain a device that existed in 1998.  So, for instance, I
loaded up a copy of Slackware from June 1998 from some InfoMagic CDs I used
"back in the day", and ran into this same trouble.

The first version of Debian I loaded was Slink, which IIRC didn't
automatically detect hardware and would ask the user to pick the particular
kernel modules to try loading.  I don't recall which version of Debian was the
first to do automatic hardware detection ... it might have been Woody.

But regardless... if you want to give this a shot and see what happens -- it's
there to try.  ;-)

  -- Chris

--
Chris Knadle