Re: Slowdown problem of a Debian package

Hello Ron,

On Wed, 19 Jun 2013 21:56:52 +0930
Ron <ron@debian.org> wrote:

> I really don't know why you keep trying to frame this in terms of
> completely unrelated things and avoid discussing the actual problem
> that I have repeatedly indicated to you, since the very first day
> you asked for my opinion on making that change.

I don't understand what you are saying.

> The current blocker is that you have introduced an interface which
> requires root to run a generated script from an insecure location,

Would you please explain it in detail instead of fragmentary words?
I have not hear your explanation yet.

'a generated script' means 'bless.sh' script? If so, it is only the
default that the script requires root permission.

        [The default]
        $ htags -f --system-cgi=mykey
        $ cd HTML
        # sh bless.sh   <- records the current directory to database

You can change the permission or owner ship of the database directory
'/usr/local/var/gtags/sitekeys' (default permission is 755).

        # chmod 777 /usr/local/var/gtags/sitekeys
or
        # chown you /usr/local/var/gtags/sitekeys

After the change, bless.sh is not required.

        $ htags -f --system-cgi=mykey

Of course, you can change the permission suitable for Debian in the
Debian package.

Besides, 'bless.sh' script is not dangerous. It is like follows.

        [bless.sh]
        |#!/bin/sh
        |#
        |# Copyright (c) 2000, 2004, 2010 Tama Communications Corporation
        |#
        |# This file is free software; as a special exception the author gives
        |# unlimited permission to copy and/or distribute it, with or without
        |# modifications, as long as this notice is preserved.
        |#
        |# This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
        |# WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law; without even the
        |# implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
        |#
        |# Usage:
        |#       $ sh bless.sh
        |#
        |if [ ! -f 'bless.sh' ]; then
        |       echo "Bless.sh script should be executed as 'sh bless.sh'."
        |       exit 1
        |fi
        |#
        |# Bless the site key.
        |#
        |pwd >'/usr/local/var/gtags/sitekeys/mykey'

Removing comments and error check code, it is essentially a single line
script like this:

        |pwd >'/usr/local/var/gtags/sitekeys/mykey'

Why is this the reason for not updating the package?

> and you refuse to discuss this or do anything to remedy it.

It seems that your belief is intense. I have not refused any arguments.
To the contrary, you have not explained the reason for not updating the
package either to Debian users nor GLOBAL developers yet.
If you say you have done it, please show the proof.

> So at this stage you continue to tie my hands.  This is not an
> acceptable interface to introduce to a distro package.  So either

Would you please explain why it is 'not an acceptable interface'?
What is the problem?  I have not hear your explanation yet.

> you need to fix that (which is the outcome I am hoping for), or
> someone else will need to fork this project and do that instead.
> And in the meantime the best thing we can do is stay with the
> version we have which does not have that problem.
>
> You cannot just jump up and down and insist that we ignore this
> and upload it anyway.  But when you fix this problem, I will be
> happy to prepare a new version for Debian.  I am losing count of
> the number of times that I have tried to patiently explain this.

You greatly mistake.

o Modification to Debian GLOBAL

Why don't you do it? If you believe the --system-cgi option is evil,
you can disable it; It is not so important, and is rarely used.
Your 'htmake' and 'htconfig' is welcomed too. I'm not opposed to
any modification in Debian GLOBAL. Rather, I welcome it.

o Modification to GNU GLOBAL

If you want to make a modification in our GNU GLOBAL, you should
send a proposal to bug-global@gnu.org. We won't accept any suggestion
without arguments in the public place which is open to all GLOBAL
developers.

> Please stop trying to sneak this change past other people and just
> fix the actual problem.  That is all that needs to be done to
> unblock this now.
>
>   Thanks,
>   Ron

You have just run away without explanation anything. As a result, you
are afflicting Debian users. I would like you to achieve accountability
or orphan the package.

Regards,
Shigio
--
Shigio YAMAGUCHI <shigio@gnu.org>
PGP fingerprint: D1CB 0B89 B346 4AB6 5663  C4B6 3CA5 BBB3 57BE DDA3