Re: PaySwarm-based Debian donations

"tfheen is not alone.  This podcast suggests a correlation between
tipping and other forms of corruption - maybe because it normalises
the concept of informal payment for work if and only if you like the
outcome - and a deeply-researched link between various types of
discrimination and tipping:
http://www.freakonomics.com/2013/06/03/should-tipping-be-banned-a-new-freakonomics-radio-podcast/";

Europe is right again. If you hire people to do a job you should pay your workers and not put it off onto your customers.

Good thing Debian is not a restaurant.

"but I'm not sure that PaySwarm is the best way."

Everything you said made sense until you said PaySwarm might not bet the best way to expose financial data to the light of day. Actually
PaySwarm's data formats are in JSON-LD and therefore allow for web native royalty-free ontology hosting in a way that is
maximally interoperable with the web of open data.

Remember how I gave eight digit accuracy for two 1 cent transactions earlier in the thread, whereas SPI with all its manpower only has semi-structured
table data where $100+K are taken in but only $13K are spent this year?

Oh that's right, nobody knows or cares about the Debian budget sequester.

Please see the following for more information on why linked data is the right way to expose financial data to the light of day: http://thepowerofpull.com/pull/foundations/semantic-web-acid-test

"I would prefer a simpler listing of which developers are available for
hire and which projects they are interested in working on.  If that
could be presented in the PTS, package managers or reportbug, that
would be great.  Would anyone block such changes?"

it's not a change. This is exactly what PaySwarm would facilitate.

"Disclosure: like many developers, I'm listed on
http://www.debian.org/consultants/ but don't get much work from it."

LOL we trust you. I would tip you if I had any money. Because you give good service and you are awesome.

"Hope that helps,
Available for hire (including development) at http://www.software.coop/";

If you ever want to get out of software cooperatives and into hardware cooperatives, http://venturecommunism.com is trying to open source the business models.

> Money is a very undemocratic resource, and I believe that tipping (which
> is what I consider small donations based on work done by an individual
> to a single package is) is denigrating and a blight upon the world.

tfheen is not alone.  This podcast suggests a correlation between
tipping and other forms of corruption - maybe because it normalises
the concept of informal payment for work if and only if you like the
outcome - and a deeply-researched link between various types of
discrimination and tipping:
http://www.freakonomics.com/2013/06/03/should-tipping-be-banned-a-new-freakonomics-radio-podcast/

That said, I think donations are already going on around debian and
not only through the project, so doing nothing would mean continuing
the current shady market.  I don't think that is healthy and I would
like to see it brought into the daylight, but I'm not sure that
PaySwarm is the best way.

I would prefer a simpler listing of which developers are available for
hire and which projects they are interested in working on.  If that
could be presented in the PTS, package managers or reportbug, that
would be great.  Would anyone block such changes?

Disclosure: like many developers, I'm listed on
http://www.debian.org/consultants/ but don't get much work from it.

Hope that helps,