Re: PaySwarm-based Debian donations

]] Manu Sporny

> On 06/16/2013 06:26 AM, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> > OTOH, I think it would be fine to have something at the package level
> > to pass on donations to our upstreams, as well as to ease donating to
> > the Debian project as a whole. See [1,2], already mentioned by Paul
> > Wise in his initial followup to this thread.
>
> Ok, so what if this system does not allow Debian package maintainers to
> specify where the money should go at all? There are only two options:
>
> 1. The upstream author includes a file called DONATE that specifies
> where donations should go.
> 2. If that file isn't specified, the money goes to the Debian Project.

If so, I'd like a third option: I don't want donations for a given
package at all.  The only resource I'm interested in people donating (as
a thanks for my work on my packages) is their time, not their money.

Money is a very undemocratic resource, and I believe that tipping (which
is what I consider small donations based on work done by an individual
to a single package is) is denigrating and a blight upon the world.

If they want to donate to the project because they're happy with Debian,
that's great and something I think we should make easier and more
visible.

--
Tollef Fog Heen