Re: PaySwarm-based Debian donations

On 18-06-13 05:50, Martin Owens wrote:
> On Mon, 2013-06-17 at 19:44 -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
>> They are not the same thing at all.  The social effects
>> are almost completely different.
>
> It's not a false equivalence. Participation is not just about being a
> programmer, if you can convince a programmer to get involved on your
> behalf, then you are involved. If you are given no opportunity to become
> involved then what's the difference?

I have to ask: are you advocating for the Debian project to support
and/or solicit donations, or are you advocating for us to support
PaySwarm, whatever that is?

We already have ways for people to donate, and so people do have the
opportunity to become involved. You're right that money can be a way to
be involved, but claiming that people are currently "given no
opportunity to become involved" is flat out wrong.

At worst, we may not be advertising that possibility enough, and I'd be
willing to accept that we may need to improve there if that case were
made; but claiming that we're not allowing people to support us just
because we're not using your new toy is borderline insulting.

--
This end should point toward the ground if you want to go to space.

If it starts pointing toward space you are having a bad problem and you
will not go to space today.

  -- http://xkcd.com/1133/