Re: PaySwarm-based Debian donations (was: Re: KickStarter for Debian packages)

Le Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 11:20:47PM -0400, Manu Sporny a écrit :

> The files are composed together to suggest where donations should go to
> the sender. They are composed in this order:
>
> 1. Upstream project's DONATE file.
> 2. Package maintainers DONATE file.
> 3. System's DONATE file.
>
> So, when a benefactor types 'apt-donate apache2 $5', assuming 90% goes
> to ASF and 10% goes to Debian, they are provided with the following
> suggestion:
>
> """
> Of your $5 donation:
>   1. $4.50 will go to the Apache Software Foundation
>   2. $0.50 will go to the Debian Project
>
> If you would like to adjust the amounts, enter the number beside the
> amount that you'd like to adjust.
>
> Do these amounts look good to you? (y/n)
> """

Dear Manu,

I like the idea of a DONATE file to facilitate donations to upstream projects.
At this point, I wonder what would be the role of apt.

 - If the goal is to donate for packages installed in the system, the DONATE
   files can be treated in a similar way to the FreeDesktop menu files:
   packages would install them in a given directory, and any donation system would
   parse them and detect additions and removals with Dpkg triggers.  One advantage
   is that software using the DONATE files to help the user to send money or
   bitcoins could be written independantly of the packaging system.

 - Apt would be useful if the goal is to gather the information in control
   files of the Debian archive (see DEP 11 for something a bit similar:
   http://wiki.debian.org/AppStreamDebianProposal).  But I think that this is not
   desirable, as it opens the risk of having conflicting settings when using
   third-party repositories.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy