Re: KickStarter for Debian packages - crowdfunding/donations for development

On 06/14/2013 09:45 PM, Charles Plessy wrote:
> thanks for your work on web payments.  I hope that they will be a
> lead contribution to the development of Free works.

And thanks to you for taking part in the conversation and helping us
build something that will hopefully lead to more resources funneled to
Free Software development. :)

> I think that for Debian, we need methods that pay for the work to be
> done, rather than for the work that has been done.  Debian has a
> large number of contributors, and we should encourage mobility
> between projects, rather than make ourselves dependant to the
> project that would be currently paying for our bills.

I see, good point. So your opinion is that something like a
bounty/crowdfunding mechanism would be more helpful than a donation system?

> Moreover, some of our upstreams who are already collecting donations
> may be worried of losing opportunities to reveive when their work is
> distributed through Debian packages. Here, PaySwarm can solve our
> problem.

I think I understand.

> As Paul showed you, we are collecting URLs for donations, and we
> probably miss a lot of them.  If the PaySwarm project would provide
> with mechanisms to easily communicate or discover this information,
> that would be very useful.  Then, together with the information that
> the donation they received comes from a Debian user, we could pass
> the URL to our upstream guide
> (http://wiki.debian.org/UpstreamGuide), so that the packaging work
> (and therefore the need for support) is reduced thanks to Upstream
> standardising his work.

Got it, I'm working on a proposal now that might work. Your input was
very helpful as it helps flesh out some of the bounty/crowdfunding stuff.

-- manu

Founder/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.
http://blog.meritora.com/launch/