Re: KickStarter for Debian packages - crowdfunding/donations for development

On 06/14/2013 07:29 PM, David Kalnischkies wrote:
>> I disagree. Some packages make _a lot_ of work and some people
>> spend thousands of hours to make Debian an excellent distribution
>> and the package in particular useful and maintainable. This is in
>> many cases not less work than being upstream, it's just another
>> type of work which is often invisible.
>
> My train of thought is that I will never be able to accept money for
>  the package 'apt'. Sure, I might do some stuff, but this package is
>  17 years old, has seen contribution from all round the world and all
>  that. What would give me the right to claim it rather than anyone
> else who has ever worked on it. And even if you haven't worked
> directly on it, we still have dependencies, be it code wise or
> infrastructure (hardware, people, …). It can't be my job as the
> maintainer¹ to rate the contribution of everyone even only remotely
> involved to decide who is getting, who isn't and how much exactly. (¹
> which I am not, but lets keep it simple here)

Why wouldn't you, as maintainer, just say that all donations go to the
Debian Project? Isn't that the most logical thing to do in this instance?

> I have on the other hand accepted money for working on APT (e.g. as
> GSoC student) so the concept of APT being a magical cash-cow I can
> milk isn't completely alien for me, but for me there is a difference
>  between claiming that I am the one who should get the money if you
> like the package and being up for hire if you need something to like
>  it (even more)

So is it fair to say that you'd like to be able to do the following:

1. List the Debian Project as the receiver for all donations.
2. List yourself as someone that is willing to be hired to do work on APT?

-- manu

Founder/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.
http://blog.meritora.com/launch/