Re: Revising the Code of Conduct

On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 03:30:08PM +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> The most annoying reply behaviour I see is people replying to one list
> rather than the multiple lists I sent the original message to.  We
> should encourage use of Reply-to-all instead, as erring on the side of
> inclusion is safer than erring on the side of exclusion.

I think this is quite a challenging suggestion for the Debian community,
which is so used to pushing for the opposite, but one worth considering.

I've started to realise that for newer (younger?) people trying to find
out or get involved in Debian, mailing lists are more of a barrier to
entry than I would have imagined - they are much less common than they
were 10 years ago and people converse using other things (forums, etc.)
Enforcing M-F-T means enforcing a mailer that supports it and that makes
interaction even more awkward for newcomers.

The folks who are irritated by CCs are usually people who are technically
sophisticated enough to be able to prevent them by other means (such as
per-list mail addresses with filters to drop mail not received from
*.debian.org servers or whatever. Note that this includes me)