Re: Revising the Code of Conduct

On Tue, 2013-05-21 at 10:32 +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
[...]
> The Debian mailinglists exist to foster the development and use of
> Debian. This Code of Conduct exists to help towards that goal.
>
> In particular, the following rules should be adhered to by participants
> to discussion on Debian mailinglists:
>
> 1. Do not flame, use foul language, or in general be abusive or

'flame' is slang and I suspect it is not that widely understood among
those who are unused to mailing lists.  Try to find a standard English
term instead.

>    disrespectful towards other people on the mailinglists or elsewhere
>    in Debian. That type of behaviour is not constructive and can quickly
>    lead to a degradation of the quality of a discussion.
[...]
> 4. [...] You should preferably also use a
>    mailer which respects the Mail-Followup-To: header, or make a
>    best-effort attempt at respecting it manually if you don't.

I think we should give up on M-F-T; it has never been standardised and
is not widely supported.

The most annoying reply behaviour I see is people replying to one list
rather than the multiple lists I sent the original message to.  We
should encourage use of Reply-to-all instead, as erring on the side of
inclusion is safer than erring on the side of exclusion.

[...]
> 6. You should avoid sending attachments; this generates a lot of
>    unnecessary bandwidth on our listservers. Instead, put the file you
>    would like to attach online somewhere and post a link.

It may be worth clarifying that this applies only to the mailing lists,
not the BTS.

[...]
> Thoughts?

I think it should incorporate the appropriate parts of the Debian
Community Guidelines.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
friends: People who know you well, but like you anyway.