Re: Revising the Code of Conduct

Norbert Preining <preining@logic.at> writes:

>> As one of the most routinely abusive posters on Debian lists towards your
>                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> That is your definition of "routinely": 0.033% ?

> Assuming that you missed 100 other emails that would still remain < 1%

> Thanks for this enlightment on what "routinely" means in English, for
> you.

I've noticed the same pattern as Steve, and it bothers me too, which means
I probably should say something rather than letting this look like
something between you and him.  Your interactions on debian-devel when you
do post there, which indeed isn't too frequently, usually come across as
quite angry and confrontational and, yes, abusive.

I *think* this is largely because you mostly post to debian-devel when
something is getting in your way or interfering with something you're
trying to get done (at least, that's my impression of most of the cases I
remember).  If I'm right, that means you mostly post in a frustrated mood.
But, that being said, it makes me cringe, and I really wish you would
rephrase the way that you post there.  I've gotten to the point where I
dread reading a debian-devel thread when your name shows up in the list of
senders, and I don't want to feel that way!  You do lots of great work on
TeX packaging, something that I care quite a bit about, and I want to look
forward to reading your posts.

I know this is hard feedback to receive.  The point isn't to say that
you're a horrible person; the impression I have is that it's just
situational and mood.  But you tend to post things there that come across
as very hostile, which isn't really appropriate and makes people feel
attacked and demotivated.