Re: Can we change our position on CC BY 2.0 and 2.5 ?

Le Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 03:30:32PM +0100, Torsten Werner a écrit :

> there have been discussions on debian-legal about the CC versions
> and their issues. AFAIK you can always upgrade the version of the CC
> license. Upgrading the license through debian/copyright should work
> if you cannot convince the upstream developers.

Hi Torsten,

I do not find any provision in the CC licenses allowing for upgrade without the
consent of the copyright holder.

I know that there have been discussions on debian-legal, but none of the
objections made against version 2.0 have been apparently solved in 3.0.
Consistently, some contributors of debian-legal think that 3.0 is as non-Free
as 2.0.  While after reading again the diff between 2.5 and 3.0 I agree with
them that there are no significant differences between these licenses, I reach
the opposite conclusion, that 2.0 and 2.5 are as Free as 3.0 is and therefore
suitable for Debian.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy