Re: Can we change our position on CC BY 2.0 ?

Charles Plessy <plessy@debian.org> writes:
> Le Sun, Jan 20, 2013 at 08:41:47AM +0900, Charles Plessy a écrit :
>>
>> When I encounter a work under CC BY 2.0, I have a hard time explaining Upstream
>> why it is strictly necessary to upgrade it to 2.5 or more for their work to be
>> distributed in Debian.  What are the crucial changes that made CC BY 2.5 Free
>> while CC BY 2.0 is non-Free ?
>
> Alternatively, if we can not find a significant difference of freedom between
> CC BY 2.5, and CC BY 2.0, how about accepting CC BY 2.0 in Debian ?

(4)
  c. If you distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, or publicly
     digitally perform the Work or any Derivative Works or Collective Works, You
-    must keep intact all copyright notices for the Work and give the Original
-    Author credit reasonable to the medium or means You are utilizing by
-    conveying the name (or pseudonym if applicable) of the Original Author if
-    supplied; the title of the Work if supplied; to the extent reasonably
-    practicable, the Uniform Resource Identifier, if any, that Licensor
-    specifies to be associated with the Work, unless such URI does not refer to
-    the copyright notice or licensing information for the Work; and in the case
-    of a Derivative Work, a credit identifying the use of the Work in the
-    Derivative Work (e.g., "French translation of the Work by Original Author,"
-    or "Screenplay based on original Work by Original Author"). Such credit may
-    be implemented in any reasonable manner; provided, however, that in the
-    case of a Derivative Work or Collective Work, at a minimum such credit will
-    appear where any other comparable authorship credit appears and in a manner
-    at least as prominent as such other comparable authorship credit.
+    must keep intact all copyright notices for the Work and provide, reasonable
+    to the medium or means You are utilizing: (i) the name of the Original
+    Author (or pseudonym, if applicable) if supplied, and/or (ii) if the
+    Original Author and/or Licensor designate another party or parties (e.g. a
+    sponsor institute, publishing entity, journal) for attribution in
+    Licensor's copyright notice, terms of service or by other reasonable means,
+    the name of such party or parties; the title of the Work if supplied; to
+    the extent reasonably practicable, the Uniform Resource Identifier, if any,
+    that Licensor specifies to be associated with the Work, unless such URI
+    does not refer to the copyright notice or licensing information for the
+    Work; and in the case of a Derivative Work, a credit identifying the use of
+    the Work in the Derivative Work (e.g., "French translation of the Work by
+    Original Author," or "Screenplay based on original Work by Original
+    Author"). Such credit may be implemented in any reasonable manner;
+    provided, however, that in the case of a Derivative Work or Collective
+    Work, at a minimum such credit will appear where any other comparable
+    authorship credit appears and in a manner at least as prominent as such
+    other comparable authorship credit.

=> in 2.5 you only need to credit authors iff they supplied a
   name/pseudonym removing the need for authors of derived works to
   provide either

Just reading the diff

    Christoph