Re: I wish you a wonderful 2013 & DebConf13! (oh, and DebConf14 too)

On 14/01/13 21:39, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 07:04:06PM +0100, Daniel Pocock wrote:
>> I would call on the DPL to finally appoint an independent audit
>> of the circumstances and report for once and for all whether the
>> allegations are true, false or simply misunderstood.
>
> I thought my position on this matter was already clear from
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2012/12/msg00068.html (in
> particular the final part of it).

Your position is clear and I don't think anybody is questioning it
here, but that particular email doesn't address the idea of an audit

> To answer specifically your direct request: I will not appoint any
> independent audit of this matter, because I don't consider we need
> one. In fact, I also think it will be counterproductive. If there
> were anything to be gained in running the process you suggest ---
> and I'm entirely unconvinced there is any --- the potential damages
> to our community would be far superior to what we could possibly
> gain.

This is where opinions may differ.  I agree it may be disruptive, but
that is the reason for getting it done quickly and independently, so
everybody trusts the process.

Also, the objective should be to improve the organisation and show
that Debian is a champion of transparency and best practice.  It is
not a witch-hunt or an attack on individuals or on the venue.  If
anything, it would vindicate many people who have presumably done
nothing wrong but been implicated by accident or by confusion (There
has been speculation about who may be involved, and the wrong people
have been implicated in at least two cases I'm aware of)  It is also
likely to vindicate those people who have today been accused of
spreading "false" information.

> If you are convinced something went wrong this time, please stop
> looking for someone to blame, and start thinking at how to improve
> processes so that next time things would work better.

I had already made an attempt to do that before you even sent your
email, and I would be glad to see it discussed on debconf-discuss,
along with any alternative proposals:
http://lists.debconf.org/lurker/message/20130114.194453.5d1fe625.en.html