I wish you a wonderful 2013 & DebConf13! (oh, and DebConf14 too)

Hi,

(this mail is not as short and clear as I would have liked. But then, I also
wanted to send it a week earlier and so I rather send it now then never...)

So anyway:

even though it's already mid January, I'd like to wish you all a very happy
2013 and a wonderful DebConf13!

I really hope we will (soon) manage to form a working team again. Hopefully by
having many working sub-teams! :-) And this is what I will personally try to
focus on now. I'm not sure at all how, but the last three months made it clear
to me that we cannot continue like this.

What we will have to continue though, is to work on creating a successful
DebConf13 in Le Camp!

Because about a year ago, we made a decision: DebConf13 will be held in
Switzerland, yay! And we knew already back then, it wouldnt be easy :-)

And since the first little struggles we had in Summer 2012 (because due to
local circumstances we need to commit to a difficult setting early), which
then turned into the annual DebConf crisis (each DebConf has one...) I
had - and have - the hope, that this is "the swiss way": do things early,
so also have the crisis early.

So to say.

And indeed and also, this is the best prepared DebConf ever: we have
more experience then ever, as every year. We have (at least) ~90k CHF already
collected (*), while normally seven month befor we usually have zero. We have
lots of people aware of certain issues, trying to fix them. So let's rock!

(*) I actually believe it's more again but enotime to check the facts.

And we will need to take another decision rather soonish: where will we hold
DebConf14?!! In our meeting this thursday we should at least come up with a
rough timeline for this decision...

Other things I think we need to push further:

- small sub-teams working on specific sub-jects, ie the team which (IMO) is
currently working best is the sponsorship team. (which is a small team)

- further development of the chairs roles as well as the chairs "performance".
I think we totally failed, for example at the end of 2012 when we didnt send
out the statement we had been preparing at http://piratenpad.de/ZSs7kbvMqw -
but thats just the tip of the iceberg so to say. We completly failed in
steering the team, which I think is part of our roles (or should be).

Anyhow, these are my current wishes/thoughts for DebConf & 2013, I'm sure you
have others / more.

See you this Thursday, at 20 UTC on #debconf-team to our next team meeting!

cheers,
	Holger

So, and about the delay in sending this mail, which I started on January 1st
or 2nd: these false accusations on -project (you know who you are!) severely
damaged my motivation for DebConf and Debian. I think I finally got over it
somewhat, but in any case, please read
http://lists.debconf.org/lurker/message/20121213.154200.58eeb2bd.en.html
which sadly wasnt posted to -project.

And yes, I'm talking about the thread with the subject "Insider manipulation
of DC13 site selection, and apparent coverup" here, starting at
http://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2012/12/msg00032.html

I've deleted several comments about the very wrong thread-subject as well as
the bad faith assumed and instead rather refer to http://zenhabits.net/gah/
and thank for the opportunity to learn ;-)

And if you still think the horse is alive: we had an idea, discussed it,
rejected it and that was it. This idea was never more than an idea, nothing
happened at all. So have fun investigating it and... *roles eyes*.