Re: Planned changes to Debian Maintainer uploads

Hi,

Ian Jackson <ijackson@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:
> Ansgar Burchardt writes ("Planned changes to Debian Maintainer uploads"):
> Your proposal simultaneously changes two things:
>
>>  - It applies to all DMs listed as Maintainer/Uploaders. It is not
>>    possible to grant upload permission to only a specific DM.
>
> This does involve changing the structure of the metadata.
>
> And I find it difficult to see what it would mean to list a DM as a
> Maintainer or an Uploader if they weren't supposed to be able to
> upload the package.

The same as it means for package without DM-Upload-Allowed or for
non-D[DM]s: they maintain the package.  See also gregoa's mail[1] why we
would like to change this.

  [1] <https://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2012/06/msg00046.html>

>>  - It is tied to the source package so can only be changed with a
>>    sourceful upload.
>
> This is slightly annoying but given that maintainership changes
> involve an upload too, it hardly seems fatal.  Has this been a problem
> in practice ?

I think this has been answered by Gerfried's[2] and David's[3] mails.

  [2] <https://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2012/06/msg00038.html>
  [3] <https://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2012/06/msg00037.html>

>>  - It allows DMs to grant permissions to other DMs.
>
> It is far from clear that forbidding this is the right thing to do.

Why?  In my understanding upload permissions for a (package, DM) should
be granted by a DD once he is convinced that this specific DM is able to
look after the given package.  DMs were never supposed to grant this to
other DMs.  The fact that this is possible is an oversight in the
initial DM specification.

Ansgar