Re: General Resolution: Diversity statement results

On Thu, 07 Jun 2012, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> But I'm convinced that if the dependency can be loosened and if the
> software were just a "apt-get install devotee" away, others will use
> it. And it will also be a good service to be offered to various
> communities. (Not to mention that it would become easier to find people
> to fix bugs, such as the PRNG issue.)
>
> No blame whatsoever is intended in the above: devotee has been developed
> for Debian purposes and it's serving us well as it is.  But I do
> challenge the argument that devotee is not interesting/useful for
> others, because I don't think it is distributed in a way that is
> comparable with usual free software standards.

Well, Debian does excell on downstream maintenance (although several of
us are quite acceptable at upstream maintenance as well).  If we can
take care of setting up a public automated git tree for the secretary to
get up-to-date-in-production devotee code in the open with minimal fuss
for the secretary's workload/workflow, it shouldn't be difficult to find
a few DDs/DMs to do the devotee release management (upstream work) and
also the Debian downstream work to take care of packaging and user-level
QA.

  Henrique Holschuh