Re: General Resolution: Diversity statement results

On Thu, Jun 07, 2012 at 12:11:10PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Michael Gilbert writes ("Re: General Resolution: Diversity statement results"):
> > Why is it that devotee has moved to a private development model?  This
> > seems to be contrary to Debian's goal of maximal openness, and the
> > previous secretary openly published his work:
> > http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=users/srivasta/debian/devotee.git

I believe that this (certainly when I took over) was stored in arch. As
I had no knowlegde of arch, and the code was (and substantially still
is) the same, there wasn't much point in pushing it. I'm very pleased to
see a migration to git.

> I would be willing to write a patch to devotee to make it
> automatically publish its own source code.  Kurt and Neil: would you
> accept such a change ?  I can happily clone the code from master.

I'd be happy to take this, and though I can't speak for Kurt it sounds
sensible to me.

> > That's nice for review and study, bit it would be even more ideal if
> > the code were available on a DD-writable repo (perhaps within
> > collab-maint).
>
> IMO the requirement is for the Secretary to publish the code being
> used.  Not for them to manage a collaborative development project,
> unless they want to.

Given the overhead of actually running a vote and trying to then deal
with people with broken mailers and estoric encodings, I'd really rather
not have to then re-deploy a package or something while we're in the
middle of a GR.

If someone wants to take whatever Ian's script produces and package it,
that's fine, although I'm not entirely convinced how useful that would
be. Having maintained 'blootbot' in the past, packaging programs that
are substantially used just on Debian services isn't actually a
productive use of time.

Neil