Started adding ADMS.SW RDF descriptions of source packages to the PTS

Hi.

As previously announced on debian-qa (and following past discussions on
RDF in Debian on -project)...

Olivier Berger <obergix@debian.org> writes:

> I've started working on #685605, i.e. adding some RDF+XML documents
> generated for the PTS static pages.
>
> Appologies for those not Semantic Web aware in advance ;-) I hope the
> code and following example can help illustrate my goal, still, beyond
> the jargon.

This means that the PTS [0] will progressively produce, alongside HTML pages
meant for humans, RDF pages meant for Linked Data [1] / Semantic Web aware
applications.

You can see an example in trying (with 'raptor2-utils' installed):
 $ rapper -o turtle http://packages.qa.debian.org/apache2

If you prefer more visual/navigatable versions, use one of the browsers
referenced in [2] or see the output of the W3C RDF validator [5].

for more details about the underlying format :
$ curl -L -v -H 'Accept: application/rdf+xml'  http://packages.qa.debian.org/apache2

The main objective is to try and produce (closest as possible from the
source) an authoritative description of Debian's packages in an
interoperable format (RDF using ADMS.SW 1.0 ontology [3])

Thus, each package in Debian can be identified with a unique URI like
<http://packages.qa.debian.org/apache2>, which is dereferenceable as
RDF.

Any Semantic Web application can then reference that resource, which
becomes part of the Linked Open Data cloud [4].

There are probably lots of uses that could emerge from this, but the
immediate I can think of is the matching of Debian packages with other
packages/projects (upstream, downstream, other dists) in an
interoperable way (see other projects like distromatch, etc.).

AFAICT, this is the first large deployment of an ADMS.SW 1.0
implementation.

Thanks to Raphaël (buxy) for his kind assistance in deploying this new
feature on the PTS.

Btw, the RDF (static) pages generation is still in progress, so don't
complain if your preferred source package isn't already available.

Questions, comments, suggestions, bugfixes welcome.

Best regards,

[0] http://packages.qa.debian.org/
[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linked_data
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linked_data#Browsers
[3] http://joinup.ec.europa.eu/asset/adms_foss/description
[4] http://linkeddata.org/
[5] http://ur1.ca/a1yd7

P.S.: there's the begining of interlinking Debian packages with Ubuntu
ones in the output... hoping that the design decision I've made for that
relation doesn't connotate it in a too trollish way ;)
--
Olivier BERGER
Ingenieur Recherche - Dept INF