A media type for the machine-readable copyright format ?

Dear all,

I would like to experience myself with the submission of media types to the
IANA, but I have no format of mine to propose.  However, Debian released this
year a standard for machine-readable copyright files, which have been used
informally since 2007.  There are parsers that exist to produce or validate
these files, and we are currently serving thousands of them through
packages.debian.org, our VCS browsers.  Obviously, our derivatives also use,
modify and distribute these files.

I am therefore considering to submit to the IANA a new media type, for instance
text/vnd.debian.copyright, for the machine-readable copyright files following
the format at http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/copyright-format/1.0/.

What do you think ?

--
Charles Plessy