Re: Claiming the "debian" account on GitHub ?

Yaroslav Halchenko <debian@onerussian.com> writes:

> BTW -- what would be the license for this creative endeavor?
> (CC BY-SA 3.0?) ;)

I recommend the GNU All-Permissive License for things like this.

http://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/html_node/License-Notices-for-Other-Files.html

If I really don't want to make people maintain a copyright notice for some
reason (which the above requires), I use the "public domain" text
recommended for IETF documents by the IETF lawyers:

    The authors hereby relinquish any claim to any copyright that they may
    have in this work, whether granted under contract or by operation of
    law or international treaty, and hereby commit to the public, at
    large, that they shall not, at any time in the future, seek to enforce
    any copyright in this work against any person or entity, or prevent
    any person or entity from copying, publishing, distributing or
    creating derivative works of this work.

Whether this actually places the work in the public domain is debatable
and varies by jurisdiction, but it relies on estoppel to provide
sufficient implicit license to be the equivalent.