Re: Claiming the "debian" account on GitHub ? (was: Re: Packaging on GitHub ?)

On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 09:09:58AM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> I am considering to ask GitHub if the debian account there is held by a
> debian.org address, and if not, whether they could transfer it to a Debian
> developer (me), who would set it up as a group open to host mirror copies of
> Debian source packages when their maintainer has interest to do so.
>
> Stefano, do you (as DPL) feel comfortable with this ?  Or given the
> non-freeness of GitHub, would you prefer that there is no official presence of
> Debian there ?

My general stance on these matter, which I've applied in previous
similar occasions, is that Debian should not endorse/rely on non-free
services for its functioning.

The obvious problem with that is that the notion of "endorse/rely" is
rather blurry. So, as some sort of guidelines, here is how this notion
has has been declined in the past:

- we do not point our community, via www.d.o and any other official
  material, to those services

- but if DDs, on a personal basis, want to take care of accounts named
  "debian" on non-free services, they are of course free to do so.
  Trying to forbid that would resemble very much censorship and I think
  it should be avoided. Also, if those accounts must exist --- and it's
  very difficult to avoid they do --- it is better to have someone
  trusted by the Debian Project in control of them

- in terms of communication, I strongly encourage the people in control
  of those accounts to prominently advertise that they are non-free (why
  this is bad for their users, if space permits) and point to
  alternative free/federated solutions

Hope this helps,
Cheers.