Re: Claiming the "debian" account on GitHub ? (was: Re: Packaging on GitHub ?)

I have just submitted a pull request in an attempt to make it more
factual while staying neutral and informative ;)  Here was my take:

[Debian](http:www.debian.org) packages, maintains and distributes some
works that are developed using GitHub.  This account was created to
facilitate push/pull interactions with the upstream developers of
such projects.  If you maintain such a package, please feel free to
join this group and mirror it here.

This account is not intended to serve as the canonical (specified with
Vcs-* fields of debian/control) location for corresponding Debian
source packages.  Most often such repositories should be made
available on the Debian project's public forge
[Alioth](http:git.debian.org) to guarantee

You might find following tools available from Debian useful for
your interaction with github

   Back up everything GitHub publishes about the repository
   (forks, issues, comments, wikis, milestones, pull requests)

Many thanks to the GitHub admins for their prompt action to release the
previous (unused) "Debian" account.

This account is not an endorsement of GitHub by Debian.

  -- Charles Plessy <plessy@debian.org>  Thu, 14 Jun 2012 09:11:55 +0900
  -- Yaroslav Halchenko <debian@onerussian.com>  Thu, 14 Jun 2012 13:22:03 -0400

On Thu, 14 Jun 2012, Thijs Kinkhorst wrote:

> On Thu, June 14, 2012 16:56, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> > On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 09:31:39AM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> >> I have not added links to their competitors, as I think that it would
> >> be bad taste, but yes, I invite every developer to consider Free
> >> alternatives such as Gitorious or Branchable.

> > To be blunt, I think that our advocacy for software freedoms is more
> > important than good taste.

> I'm surprised by this dichotomy. It seems perfectly well possible to both
> operate in good taste and advocate software freedoms.

> > Given how you worded the README (i.e. along
> > the lines of "some of the software we work with is already on
> > GitHub..."), it would be entirely appropriate to recommend favoring
> > Gitorious, Branchable or similar services over GitHub.

> I find this indeed not in good taste. We are using their service, for
> free. We have many platforms of our own we can use for such advocacy. The
> current proposal, that we make it clear that usage does not constitute
> endorsement, makes the situation perfectly clear to anyone without using
> the free resources we've been given by them to promote their competitors.

> Cheers,
> Thijs

> p.s. I just bought some groceries and the supermarket didn't publish the
> source code to their cash register, so I may be biased towards non-free
> services.
Yaroslav O. Halchenko
Postdoctoral Fellow,   Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences
WWW:   http://www.linkedin.com/in/yarik