Re: Requirements for copyright notices in debian/copyright

On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 06:42:31PM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Hello, FTP Archive team,
> (Writing this message with my Debian Policy hat on.)
>
> There have been multiple questions over the years about exactly what is
> required in the debian/copyright file, and I'd like to collect all of the
> answers and turn it into actual Policy so that we don't have ongoing
> uncertainty and conflicting interpretations of mail messages written ago.
> So this is probably the first in a series.  :)
>
> I'm going to try to ask specific separate questions to get clarification,
> with a goal of taking those answers and turning them into a proposed
> Policy amendment, which I'll then send to you for vetting.

Dear ftpmasters,
  friendly ping on this request from the Policy editors. It'd be very
useful to clarify these requirements and document them in Policy.

It is something on which, if you want to, we can also try to get some
legal advice. But I do not recommend it, as it seems a daunting task, at
least if we want to enter in the details of the various licenses.  So
what Russ is proposing here seems a very reasonable approach: let's
start from what are your current requirements and their rationales.

TIA,
Cheers.