Re: Installation & Live CD

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 09:37:24 +0100, Daniel Baumann <daniel.baumann@progress-technologies.net> wrote:
> On 01/17/2012 04:41 AM, shirish शिरीष wrote:
> > the debian-live team [...] haven't been able to communicate it on the web their
> > long-term plans.
>
> there are no long-term plans; debian-live just creates the combined live
> and installer media of whatever debian does.

Well, having recently tried to find an image that I might be able to
recommend to someone new to Debian, and having quickly found the
friendly looking live.debian.net front page, I was a bit surprised to be
presented with this after a couple of clicks:

  http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/release/current-live/i386/

which is not exactly helpful to a newbie -- also, even I am left
wondering why there is a split between i386 and amd64 if the images
below are supposed to be hybrid.

Anyway, then I chose iso-hybrid, which seems like what I might be after,
at which point we see that the only images that're small enough to
actually fit onto a CD are the "rescue" and the "standard" ones, which
appear not to include X, and so are hardly likely to be enticing to a
newbie, so I gave her a copy of knoppix instead, which of course means
that I have to say that what she's getting is very much like Debian,
rather than saying that it _is_ Debian.

I can understand that an automated build is unlikely to be able to
generate something that's just as good as knoppix, since the latter has
been tuned over a long period to exactly that purpose, and perhaps the
restriction of wanting it to fit on a CD is less important than it used
to be, but I think it's a bit of a shame that we're not currently
producing a debian-live CD that shows things off reasonably well for a
beginner, and linking to it prominently without an arcane sub-directory
tree to navigate, as suggested by the OP.

Cheers, Phil.