DEP 5 timeline in Debian, and concurrent work in Ubuntu.

> Le Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 10:53:05AM +0100, Steve Langasek a écrit :
> >
> > Per my discussion with Lars, and as indicated in his previous mail, I will
> > continue to follow the DEP process on debian-project.

I would like to add more, in this separate email as it is more controversial.

It has been a long time that DEP 5 raised some interest at Ubuntu.  According
to the following (old) document, “Steve Langasek is in charge of getting DEP5
approved in Debian”.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FoundationsTeam/Specs/PackageLicenseTracking
(linked from https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/foundations-jaunty-package-license-tracking )

Nevertheless, DEP 5 was still on the Ubuntu Agenda more recently:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LicenseReviewProcessImprovementSpec
(linked from https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/ubuntutheproject-foundations-n-main-license-review )

  * Need to figure out then how DEP-5 and SPDX will live together
  * Finish DEP-5 (2 to 3 more major revisions are expected -- globbing change for sure, probably hashes like SPDX)
    This is arguably a blocker for us to start filing massive bugs about adopting DEP-5

I would appreciate if the Debian developers mentionned in this document would
participate more actively to the release of DEP 5, for instance by commenting
or seconding patches sent to http://bugs.debian.org/debian-policy;include=subject%3Acopyright-format
or by helping to improve the wording of the DEP in a way that addresses Steve's
concerns.

More in general, I think that it would be good to use Ubuntu as an example
here, by setting a timeline for ourselves (but not for the lack of
communication – as suggested from the title of this email, I am not satisfied
of this).  Stefano mentionned that it would be good to have the DEP accepted by
the release of Squeeze (http://bugs.debian.org/609160#176).  So please, anybody
interested in DEP 5 for Debian or Ubuntu, comment on missing language
improvements, so that we can close that topic, for instance by the end of 2011 ?

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan