Re: Comments on the constitution?

Dear all,

On 08/29/2011 10:17 AM, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> [ M-F-T: debian-vote ]
>
> On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 12:08:45PM +0200, Martin Zobel-Helas wrote:
>> during the last DPL voting period, a question [1] about the current
>> length of the DPL period came up. This topic was also discussed during
>> recent DebConf11.
>>
>> While I do not want to come up with a change of the constitution at
>> this point, I would like to hear a broader opinion on that topic.
> Thanks for re-raising this topic.  I guess --- given the amount of
> followups --- that this discussion is not particularly intriguing for
> many of us, but it still an important one to have. We won't be able to
> propose any change unless we have at least an idea of how people feel
> about this.
> [...]
> What do you think?
If there is not too much overhead with every year's voting, which I
personally think it is not, then it shall be the Debian community to
decide annually if the extra continuity is good for the project or not.

I think we had (and have :) ) all excellent DPLs. They were how they
were, not this typical policitian's acting. Being more in sync with the
one or other is natural. Of course the DPL will become better with
the training he/she gets on the job. But my answer to  that is that
we should then train more people this way and take that training back
to his/her paid life.

My interest is less in what the DPL is doing during his DPL term. I am
much more interested in what the DPL, commonly a strong personality
and well connected, is doing afterwards. Luckily, that "afterwards"
time is much longer than his/her active duty. The profile of a DPL
certainly helps a reach out, like "ah, one of us is strong in Debian,
so Debian must be good for us". This will then help our development.
So, I want the DPLs to change reasonably often. Annually sounds
good to me.

Best,

Steffen