Re: Comments on the constitution?

[ M-F-T: debian-vote ]

On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 12:08:45PM +0200, Martin Zobel-Helas wrote:
> during the last DPL voting period, a question [1] about the current
> length of the DPL period came up. This topic was also discussed during
> recent DebConf11.
>
> While I do not want to come up with a change of the constitution at
> this point, I would like to hear a broader opinion on that topic.

Thanks for re-raising this topic.  I guess --- given the amount of
followups --- that this discussion is not particularly intriguing for
many of us, but it still an important one to have. We won't be able to
propose any change unless we have at least an idea of how people feel
about this.

Re-reading [1], mentioned by zobel, I still find that it contains a
reasonable accounting of potential advantages and potential
disadvantages. If you'd like to chime-in, please have a look at it.

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2011/03/msg00042.html

The main question is: how would people feel about a DPL standing for
election for a 2 year period, provided that there is an "easy" way to
call for a mid-term election after 1 year? "Easy" should be defined in a
way that it is not socially awkward and allow any of the two parts (the
DPL or the DD body) to call for an election that by default won't
happen.

At present, I don't have any bright idea on how to implement the "not
socially awkward" part preserving full transparency. A possibility might
be to allow a given number of DDs to request in private a mid-term
election to the secretary. But that clearly trades-off transparency for
social un-awkward-ness. IMHO it would match the spirit of the current
Constitution provision that DPL votes are secret, but YMMV. It would
also possibly increase the level of trust we put in the Secretary.

What do you think?
Cheers.

PS Regarding Wouter's objection in this thread, it's a valid one, but I
   guess it's as empiric as saying that several DPLs in the past have
   been actually running for a second term after having been in charge
   for one, sometimes winning again sometimes not.