Re: Debian hardware certification

On Sat, 4 Jun 2011 14:23:56 +0800, Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 4, 2011 at 12:05 PM, Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > That's the kind of very simple list that I was hoping to build. But the
> > list isn't the final goal. The goal is to *fix* issues when we see them,
> > like it happened for the X8STi-F in Debian 5.04.
>
> In that case, are you sure that bugs.debian.org isn't what you are
> looking for?

That seems like a good idea -- how about if we encouraged willing hardware
manufacturers to maintain a pseudo package type thing, perhaps per
device, although it would be good to have some sort of wild-card so that
one could report a bug against hw-supermicro-mb-X8STi-F, and they could
resign it to hw-supermicro-nic-e1000 or some such, without us needing
to do more than let them tell us the contact email for their BTS or the
person in charge of fixing that device, say.

We'd just need to reserve the 'hw-' (or whatever) bit of the namespace,
and then allow people to apply for names under that, probably based on
whether they own the matching domain, but I've no idea how we might
handle disputes if a company splits, say).  Then there would need to be
a way of updating the maintainer address(es) -- probably best if a DD/DM
takes responsibility for being our contact with that company, and
handles that in the normal manner.  We could always set up a
manufacturer-liason team for that, if appropriate.

Cheers, Phil.