Re: Debian hardware certification

On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 01:02:23PM +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> > We talked about the possibility to have their hardware being
> > certified as compatible with Debian, and have them advertize about
> > it on their website product pages.
> >
> > The plan would be to test the hardware (probably with a live CD
> > using a KVM over IP). If it doesn't work, see what driver isn't
> > present, and if the backported kernel has the fix. If it does,
> > in some cases, we could add a patch in a Debian point release, if
> > it's not too intrusive.

I've been pointed today to some related work which might be interesting
for you, done in the Ubuntu camp: the Ubuntu Friendly validation program
<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuFriendly>. I've only skimmed through it,
but the idea seems to be:

- have a collaboratively developed test suite
- have community members collect test suite results in a shared place

It seems something that would be very compatible with the way we do
things in Debian. If, on top of that, some sort of official "labeling"
is needed, we can think about that as well (but it would be pointless to
do that before the community part is in place).

If you are still interested in this topic, it might be worth to pursue
this approach. It might even be possible to share test suite code with
the Ubuntu folks, depending on how much the tests are tied to the deltas
between Debian and Ubuntu (something I haven't investigated).

JFYI,
Cheers.