Debian Hardware Compatibility List (Debian hardware certification)

Hi,

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 09:33:17AM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 01:02:23PM +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> > > We talked about the possibility to have their hardware being
> > > certified as compatible with Debian, and have them advertize about
> > > it on their website product pages.

It may have been mentiond here or elsewhere ...

K. Muto's
 "Debian GNU/Linux device driver check & report"
is one interesting activity to gather compatible hardware database.

  http://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/

This provides extensive list of actual hardware devece supported by
Debian GNU/Linux.  It relys on "lspci -n" and recent Debian kernel
2.6.39-1-686-pae.

Muto-san is DD too and his code for the system is in public.

> > > The plan would be to test the hardware (probably with a live CD
> > > using a KVM over IP). If it doesn't work, see what driver isn't
> > > present, and if the backported kernel has the fix. If it does,
> > > in some cases, we could add a patch in a Debian point release, if
> > > it's not too intrusive.
>
> I've been pointed today to some related work which might be interesting
> for you, done in the Ubuntu camp: the Ubuntu Friendly validation program
> <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuFriendly>. I've only skimmed through it,
> but the idea seems to be:
>
> - have a collaboratively developed test suite

Muto-san's activity lacks this part.

> - have community members collect test suite results in a shared place

Muto-san's activity at least gets list of recognized devices.

I guess, if we have simple POSIX shell script wrapper on
 * lspci -n (To get hardware list)
 * uname -r (To get running kernel version)
with simple dialog based rating for asking hardware functionality, we
may be able to get fairly good data.

> It seems something that would be very compatible with the way we do
> things in Debian. If, on top of that, some sort of official "labeling"
> is needed, we can think about that as well (but it would be pointless to
> do that before the community part is in place).
>
> If you are still interested in this topic, it might be worth to pursue
> this approach. It might even be possible to share test suite code with
> the Ubuntu folks, depending on how much the tests are tied to the deltas
> between Debian and Ubuntu (something I haven't investigated).

These require a bit more than booting and checking... but it may be
interesing too.

Osamu