Re: audible compatibility with linux

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 11:13:26PM -0700, Victor Jones wrote:
> Audible says "At this time Audible is not compatible with the Linux operating
> system. Audible is actively pursuing compability with Linux in all versions
> by pursuing support from the open source community that develops this
> platform." I joined Audible in 2002 and saw that exact message shortly after
> and it has not changed to this date today.  Audiible is one of the big
> reasons I have heard people say they will not switch to linux. There are
> already ways to take out the protections and turn the audio books to mp3
> files, but I have a very large library on their site and need (as do many
> other people) for it to just work. Just work is what Ubuntu is all about. If
> you do not think it is serious just do a Google search for "Audible linux"
> and you will come out with a different frame of mind.  Could someone please
> contact them and tell them how much money they are losing? In the process
> please offer to work with them to make Audible compatible with the Linux
> operating system. Ubuntu is the largest and should have a little bit of pull
> in whatever negotiations are needed. It would help if the other OS's would
> get on the wagon for the long haul.

Hi Victor,
you have contacted the debian-project list, which is about issue relating to
the whole of 'debian'. So this is not quite the right list for that. You might
try the debian-user list, where folks talk about issues using Debian.
The major hurdle for many programs/files/applications to work with Gnu/Linux
(like Debian and Ubuntu), is their use of DRM (digital rights manangement).
This is some form of 'protection' that makes their files ununable without
agreeing to keep their secret format confidential. Gnu/linux is about open file
formats, open standards, so we have no interest in working with things that
close a file so folks cant easily read it. It would be odd for Audible to allow
Gnu/Linux to work with our open ideas just like Apple did not want to allow us
to use their DRM-ed itunes files a few years ago. Apple has changed this in
most cases after many folks complained to Apple, so now you can use some of
their music files -- as mp3s. If Audible files can be converted to mp3s, then
you can play them on Gnu/Linux. If not, it seems the only way is to create a
'virutal machine' and install windows on that and then use Audible inside that
environment.
To learn more about DRM, visit the fsf.org and defectivebydesign.org
cheers,
Kev
--
|  .''`.  == Debian GNU/Linux ==.| http://kevix.myopenid.com......|
| : :' :     The Universal OS....| mysite.verizon.net/kevin.mark/.|