Re: Debian honoured with LNM award for Outstanding Contribution to Free Software

On Mon, Mar 07, 2011 at 09:41:57AM +0100, Alexander Reichle-Schmehl wrote:
> For our "Outstanding Contribution to Open Source/Linux/Free Software"
> award, we also had the special pleasure, to receive our presentation
> speech from Karsten Gerloff, president of the Free Software Foundation
> Europe, who found words, I can hardly explain myself.  As it might take
> some time for the video of the award ceremony to be published and
> several people already asked for it, you'll find the text of the speech
> below.

Dear Karsten,
  I'm sorry I couldn't make it to CeBIT, but I've just had the pleasure
of reading---thanks to the forward to the debian-project mailing list by
Alexander Reichle-Schmehl---the speech you delivered there in occasion
of the award Debian received for its Outstanding Contribution to Free
Software.  I'm sure you've already been thanked for it by the Debian
representatives who were present at CeBIT, but let me reiterate it.

On behalf of the Debian Project, thanks a lot for your words and for
delivering the speech. Every passing day we realize a bit more why it's
important that Debian exists and why it is important for it to be based
on Free Software principles only and to be independent from corporate
interests.  We have made several efforts recently to communicate why we
think those features are fundamental for a healthy Free Software
ecosystem. I'm glad you share those beliefs and that you helped
spreading them with your speech.

Cheers.