Re: [DEP5] License field in the first paragraph ?

On la, 2011-01-22 at 18:48 +1100, Ben Finney wrote:
> Charles Plessy <plessy@debian.org> writes:
>
> > Le Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 11:42:17PM +0200, Lars Wirzenius a écrit :
> > >
> > > There seems to be consensus to add an optional License field to the
> > > first paragraph. […]
> >
> > Here is a first attempt. Comments welcome: the discussion was a bit
> > complex and I am not sure if I summarised it well.
>
> One aspect I don't see covered in your patch: ‘Copyright’ and ‘License’
> only make sense as a pair (details in the preceding discussion). I think
> the standard should specify that if either is used, both must be used.

I find it reasonable to use only License, to indicate that a specific
license applies to the package as a whole, without having any one party
have a copyright on the package as a whole. If the package contains of
files A and B, with A being GPL2+ and B being GPL3+, the header
paragraph's License field could say GPL3+. There would still be no need
to have a Copyright field in the header paragraph.

I would prefer to keep things simpler, and not have a rule about when
either field requires the other.

--
Blog/wiki/website hosting with ikiwiki (free for free software):
http://www.branchable.com/