Re: DEP5: Please drop requirement of stripped source being mentioned in Source:

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 05:38:24PM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 02:35:17AM +0100, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
DEP-5 allows additional unofficial fields. So I am allowed to do as this (from the bitcoin package currently pending ftpmaster approval):

Format: http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/dep/web/deps/dep5.mdwn?rev=162
Upstream-Name: Bitcoin
Upstream-Contact: Satoshi Nakamoto <satoshin@gmx.com>
Source: http://sourceforge.net/projects/bitcoin/files/
Copyright: 2009-2010, Bitcoin Developers
License: Expat

Files-Excluded: bin/*
Comment: source-less binaries

Files-Excluded: src/cryptopp/*
Comment: unneeded external project sources

Files: src/json/*
Copyright: 2007-2009, John W. Wilkinson
License: Expat

Actually, no, you aren't.

There are three kinds of paragraphs: the first one is called the “header paragraph”. Every other paragraph is either a “Files” paragraph or a stand-alone license paragraph. This is similar to source and binary package paragraphs in debian/control files.

 http://dep.debian.net/deps/dep5/#index5h1

In this case you've added your custom fields as new *paragraphs*, and that isn't permitted by the current language of DEP-5.

Ah, right.

It seems to me that the below, however - silly as it may be, is allowed:

Format: http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/dep/web/deps/dep5.mdwn?rev=162
Upstream-Name: Bitcoin
Upstream-Contact: Satoshi Nakamoto <satoshin@gmx.com>
Source: http://sourceforge.net/projects/bitcoin/files/
Copyright: 2009-2010, Bitcoin Developers
License: Expat

Files:
Copyright: None
License: None
Files-Excluded: bin/*
Comment: source-less binaries

Files:
Copyright: None
License: None
Files-Excluded: src/cryptopp/*
Comment: unneeded external project sources

Files: src/json/*
Copyright: 2007-2009, John W. Wilkinson
License: Expat

Alternatively the below seems allowed too (but multiple identically-named fields in same paragraph + relying on specific order within a paragraph feels wrong to me):

Format: http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/dep/web/deps/dep5.mdwn?rev=162
Upstream-Name: Bitcoin
Upstream-Contact: Satoshi Nakamoto <satoshin@gmx.com>
Source: http://sourceforge.net/projects/bitcoin/files/
Copyright: 2009-2010, Bitcoin Developers
License: Expat
Files-Excluded: bin/*
Comment: source-less binaries
Files-Excluded: src/cryptopp/*
Comment: unneeded external project sources

Files: src/json/*
Copyright: 2007-2009, John W. Wilkinson
License: Expat

 - Jonas