DEP5: Please drop requirement of stripped source being mentioned in Source:

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 09:23:45AM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
Le Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 12:56:17AM +0100, Jonas Smedegaard a écrit :

I do not, however, agree with sneaking in additional requirements in that field:

>+     which is mainly the case for native Debian packages. If the upstream
>+     source has been modified to remove non-free parts, that should be
>+     explained in this field.

In previous discussions we decided, I believe, to *not* decide on specific handling of source removal.

Arrgh, I was wrong:

http://lists.debian.org/msgid-search/1285171707.6931.36.camel@havelock

I did not oppose to anything in the previous message, and didn't verify the actual commit.

I have no interest in reinventing debian/watch as previously discussed back then: machine-extractable source URL.

My interest - which I suspect I failed explaining Russ at http://lists.debian.org/msgid-search/87sk1bllt9.fsf@windlord.stanford.edu
is the benefit of machine-extractable excluded files.

No, I do not consider it "simplicity" nor "More detailed specification for documenting mechanical rules of transformations could wait" to _require_ documenting stripped source in the Source: field.

Machine-extractable excluded files is usable to get from pristine source (using e.g. debian/watch file) to DFSG-free source (e.g. in get-orig-source target).

...and to double-check during build that no files claimed removed actually exist in source.

The first is done today in CDBS-implemented get-orig-source target, but using hints in debian/rules.

DEP-5 allows additional unofficial fields. So I am allowed to do as this (from the bitcoin package currently pending ftpmaster approval):

Format: http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/dep/web/deps/dep5.mdwn?rev=162
Upstream-Name: Bitcoin
Upstream-Contact: Satoshi Nakamoto <satoshin@gmx.com>
Source: http://sourceforge.net/projects/bitcoin/files/
Copyright: 2009-2010, Bitcoin Developers
License: Expat

Files-Excluded: bin/*
Comment: source-less binaries

Files-Excluded: src/cryptopp/*
Comment: unneeded external project sources

Files: src/json/*
Copyright: 2007-2009, John W. Wilkinson
License: Expat

...except I am now forced to *duplicate* those excluded files in a non-machine-extractable format inside the Source: field due to that recent "simplification". Or continue to duplicate that info across debian/copyright and debian/rules as done in the lack of DEP5.

Your proposed patch makes it mandatory to mention in Source: and would thus force me to either violate current DEP5 or duplicate data.

Please leave out that sentence until we have properly discussed how to officially handle stripped source.

I also dislike this sentence, but it is in the current DEP, so I thought it is out of scope to remove it with the patch I proposed.

Sorry, you are right, and I hijacked your subthread for the wrong reason. I have renamed to try limit the damage.

- Jonas