Re: DEP5: CANDIDATE and ready for use in squeeze+1

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 11:15:12AM +1100, Ben Finney wrote:
Ben Finney <ben+debian@benfinney.id.au> writes:

I maintain the position I argued earlier in this same thread:

The provenance of the source of any Debian package should be recorded explicitly, and the copyright file is the canonical location for that information. For packages where “it was only ever a Debian native package” is true, that fact is not obvious and should still be recorded in the same place.

   * An explanation from where the upstream source came from.

+     If the upstream source has been modified to remove non-free parts,
+     that should be explained in this field.

I notice that you also add explicit requirement of documenting removal of source in the Source: field.

I agree that it is a Policy requirement to document this in debian/copyright, but disagree with doing it in Source:.

The benefit of recording removed source structurally similar to Files: is that tools could then use that info to automate stripping of same source when fetching new upstream tarballs.

 - Jonas