Re: No general political content on Planet

Ben Finney dijo [Fri, Nov 05, 2010 at 11:06:26AM +1100]:
> (...)
> Hopefully the suggestion to split non-Debian topics out to a separate
> feed (or, equivalently, to provide a Debian-topics-only feed which is
> the only one provided on Planet Debian) will be followed more often.

Many of us don't bother setting tags for each of our blog postings. If
it were to become a policy to have it set for a "Planet Debian
On-Topic" subplanet, we probably would... although it's far from
automatic. And many of the interesting messages are not strictly
Debian-related, even if they are technical.

> > Meeting one's fellow developer in person also (at least for me) helped
> > a lot in turning random political content I strongly disagree with
> > from something that pissed me off into something that just makes me
> > roll my eyes and remember the good conversation we had. :)
>
> Agreed. Others have expressed the position that reading occasional
> non-Debian posts in the Planet Debian flow helps to relate to other
> members as people with lives outside Debian; that seems something of
> value that we should be careful not to sacrifice cheaply.

Yes, please subscribe me to that group. For me, the planet is a window
to the lives of the people that form up this social group. We share a
technical affinity, so we tend to write technical topics, but we write
about our political views - As much as we write about our hobbies, our
families, our lives.

For me, Debian is as much a technical project as a social one. And
that's the reason I enjoy the planet.