Re: Please draft a policy for planet.debian.org

* Tshepang Lekhonkhobe <tshepang@gmail.com> [2010-11-11 16:14:37 CET]:
> On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 14:27, Lars Wirzenius <liw@liw.fi> wrote:
> > There may be a way to collect money via Debian and not have conflicts.
> > But on the whole I would prefer for us to not experiment and avoid this
> > entirely.
>
> If there's a way, why not? Waste of time? Too busy fixing RC bugs?

 I think Lars did point it out pretty well, but I can try to phrase it
in my words again: There are people that are pushing for the tasks that
seemingly are more prominently appreciated. Also people actively
hindering the progress of specific improvements until some "sponsors"
for the tasks are found.

 This leads to a fair amount of interest in such prominent areas, and no
interest in the boring tasks that are needed to get the whole thing
running. Just follow which teams are regularly asking for help, are
known to be looked down upon (politely put) by a fair amount of other
developers to do minor stuff but on the other hand have to work their
asses off for next to little appreciation.

> This issue will keep coming back because it's left unresolved. There's
> people who want to be financially rewarded for their work on Debian,
> and there people who don't care. Both do matter. Don't let those who
> don't care disadvantage those who do.

 Right, but Debian is actually by definition a project of volunteers.
Noone can be expected to get paid for it, and that's one of the core
principles that is a driving force behind a lot. If some are suddenly
starting to prominently push more effort in their blogging round trip
time then things get skewed because it's not the driving force that
people who have joined the project did expect.

 What one does on their own blog is their own thing, what one pushes
explicitly to planet.debian is a different area.

 Just my thoughts,
Rhonda
--
<dholbach> Last day of https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDeveloperWeek starting in
           34 minutes in #ubuntu-classroom on irc.feenode.net