Re: commercial spam on planet

Hi,

On Mon, 08 Nov 2010, Holger Levsen wrote:
> since a while, we see unsolicted commercial links and images on planet, mostly
> about flattr.

This definition does not make it clear what you're targeting.

Can you be more precise? Since I use flattr I wonder if I'm concerned.

I even encourage users to use flattr to support free software with one
blog post per month. Is this spam according to you?

> I think we as a project should not tolerate such, agree so, and provide simple
> filter mechanisms, so that people can continue to have these links in _their_
> blog posts, while they are filtered out on http://planet.debian.org

I don't agree in general.

I fail to see how this helps towards our goal of creating a free operating
system.

As far as I am concerned, I like to be reminded that another Debian
contributor is using Flattr and that I can use this to support his work.

I also like to read about any commercial venture that contributors have
started (like branchable.com by Joey Hess and Lars Wirzenius).

> How much spam do you find tolerable? Would it be ok if I sell advertisment
> space on my blog and syndicate this to planet? You know, I need to eat too...

I would object to google adsense inserted into the RSS feed. It's really
noise.

What I do is to provide a link for people that like my posts to support my
work. It's not very intrusive IMO.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer ◈ [Flattr=20693]

                      ▶ http://RaphaelHertzog.fr (Français)