Re: What is annoying in the flattr buttons?

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 17:56, Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 12 Nov 2010, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:
>> It's not begging in a sense that someone IS doing some work. It's more
>> like "use this thing that I produced, and if you want, you can reward
>> me with a few cents". There simply is nothing distasteful about that.
>> In fact, I find it courageous, considering the taboo surrounding
>> money. OTOH, a beggar doesn't provide any service at all.
>
> Tshepang, I appreciate that you like my "courage" and my willingness to
> try new things, but we're speaking of feelings that some people have.
> You're not going to change those by telling them they are unfounded.

It does happen at times. Many people change their minds after some
discussion, but it tends to be very uncomfortable, that's why you find
people searching for 'facts' that strengthen their feelings (an act of
dishonesty actually, though often not conscious).

> It's good that they are expressed (as long as they are not turned as
> personal attacks) so that we can take them into account and try to avoid
> bad feelings when possible.

Agreed.

> There are also topics where we must accept to disagree and be able to move
> on nevertheless because they are unrelated to our main mission of building
> a free operating system.

Agreed.

--
blog: http://tshepang.tumblr.com