[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Re: commercial spam on planet

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 05:24:40PM +0100, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> I don't know on what your summary is based. Looking at the replies, we
> have about 50% persons that wants to filter it and 50% that don't mind
> keeping them.

It was based on my own perception of the general feeling, by re-reading
the thread just before posting the summary. Frankly, I still read the
vast majority of the contributions to the thread as, at best, perceiving
buttons like flattr as border line acceptable and/or as acceptable only
on a sporadic basis rather than as a habit.

Of course, my perception might be biased by the fact that I personally
feel that way too. I would have double-/triple-checked or asked for the
evaluation of someone else, if subsequent answers hadn't come to confirm
general unhappiness (at least as it appears from this list, which is not
necessarily representative of all developers, users, etc., obviously).

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 08:45:22PM +0100, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> So it's now clear that this thread is only about flattr buttons. Quite a few
> people explained that they are (at varying level) annoyed by them. I would
> like to know _why_ those buttons annoy them.

I disagree that this thread is flattr-specific.

It clearly is the most cited example, most likely because is what we all
have in mind and because Flattr is quite popular these days. Still, I
don't think anybody is trying to decide a policy about flattr only.
Rather, I think we're taking the chance that recent flattr experiences
have given us to establish a more general policy.

For what is worth, I've seen in the past instances of AdSense ending up
on planet, and I had the same problem with them that I have right now
with Flattr.

> To get a clear feedback I'd like to setup a poll (with selectricity.org)
> so that people who have chosen to put those buttons can decide what to do
> (or not).

Interesting experiment, I'm curious as well, thanks!

> It's going to be a condorcet-based poll where you have to rank the
> following statements: I'm annoyed by Flattr buttons because
>  * Debian contributors should not make money from posts syndicated on
>    planet.

I don't think this one is properly worded (assuming we've in mind the
same underlying option here). For instance, it seems to rule out the
possibility that a blog author makes money from a specific blog post via
its own blog, while having the same blog post syndicated on planet (but
without ads).

Unfortunately, I haven't found a decent wording to capture that yet ...


Stefano Zacchiroli -o- PhD in Computer Science \ PostDoc @ Univ. Paris 7
zack@{upsilon.cc,pps.jussieu.fr,debian.org} -<>- http://upsilon.cc/zack/
Quando anche i santi ti voltano le spalle, |  .  |. I've fans everywhere
ti resta John Fante -- V. Capossela .......| ..: |.......... -- C. Adams

Attachment: signature.asc
Description: Digital signature

Reply to: