Re: commercial spam on planet

On Tue, 09 Nov 2010 02:26:25 +0200, Faidon Liambotis <paravoid@debian.org> wrote:
> Holger Levsen wrote:
> > since a while, we see unsolicted commercial links and images on planet, mostly
> > about flattr.
> On the issue at hand, my personal view is that I am a bit annoyed by the
> flattr “ads” on Planet as well, but not that much that I'd raise it as a
> subject for discussion as you did.

Likewise, I'd not have raised it, but seeing the ads has been like a
very mild case of toothache for me -- but that was before I considered
that the people putting the link to an image from http://api.flattr.com/
on their pages are actually leaking my browsing habits to flattr, as
Joerg points out.

Yes, I could AdBlock flattr, as could all other readers of planet, but I
don't really see why I should have to.

So, well done for raising the issue Holger.

I think the thing that makes the links more irritating is the fact that
they are a graphic in a sea of text, so they really catch the eye.  I'd
probably have less of an issue with them if they were rendered as a
simple link, especially since that would not involve an information
leak.

How about making the planet disarm all links that point elsewhere than
the same domain as the blog post that contains it?  Perhaps a little
too draconian?

Cheers, Phil.