Re: No general political content on Planet

Ben Finney <ben+debian@benfinney.id.au> writes:
> Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> writes:

>> Anyway, presumably decent feed reader software either has or could have
>> added to it a similar feature to suppress particular posts from the
>> collective feed by various criteria. The authorship information is in
>> the feed for a feed reader to do something with.

> That seems an unreasonable place for the burden. It seems similar to
> claims that people who don't like off-topic posts can just delete them.
> True, but irrelevant to the point that off-topic posts are being made.

It's not at all clear that they're off-topic posts.  That's the point.
Many Planet Debian readers who have commented here in the past have said
they consider "anything a person affiliated with Debian wants to blog
about" to *be* the topic of Planet Debian.

> Again, though, I'll note that I don't consider all off-topic traffic
> necessarily bad; merely that “configure your client better” is a poor
> response.

When there is controversy over exactly what is on-topic, it's about the
only response that will actually work.