Re: DEP5 parser is available in Debians/Sid

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 06:49:50PM +0200, Dominique Dumont wrote:
Le mercredi 22 septembre 2010 18:23:39, Jonas Smedegaard a écrit :
>Configuration item 'Debian::Dep5 License id' has a wrong value:
>        Unexpected key 'PGL-1'. Key must match ^(?i:Apache|Artistic|BSD|
>FreeBSD|ISC|CC-BY|CC-BY-SA|CC-BY-ND|CC-BY-NC|CC-BY-NC-SA|CC-BY-NC-ND|CC0|C
>DDL|
>CPL|Eiffel|Expat|GPL|LGPL|GFDL|GFDL-NIV|LPPL|MIT|MPL|Perl|PSF|QPL|W3C-
>Software|ZLIB|Zope|other)[\d\.\-]*\+?$

Hmm - I believe you are being too restrictive above.

Syntax for license field says that "an arbitrary short name may be assigned" which I can only interpret to the following regex:

   ^\w+$

Hmm, I may have interpreted too literally the 'other' specification ;-)

Yes, standardized short names are encouraged, but not mandatory.

Yet another challenge for your tool ;-)

Well, it depends on what you want.

Just relaxing the restriction above is trivial.

But if you want a warning while allowing unknown licenses, then yes, I'll have to perform more extensive modifications to Config::Model( and on its various user interfaces to display properly the warnings...)

Sorry for being terse: Yes, you guessed correctly that my challenge to you is to not only support mandatory syntax but also recommended.

Would such a warning be a great addition or should we just provide the license list in the doc ?

...because yes, I would consider it cool if Config::Model would handle this.

I can easy imagine uses other than for DEP5. Like deprecated options or syntax.

But I can imagine that it might require large code changes.

Should we perhaps stop cross-posting?

I have set Reply-To:[1] to only the SF list and myself. Please keep me cc'ed as I am not suscribed there.

 - Jonas

[1] I don't know how to edit Mail-Followup-To: in Mutt, so haven't messed with that.