Installer

I do allot of work on computers of all different types. One problem I have noticed is allot of times I get computer with no OS on them at all and no info on it's make up. I also have 3 different arcitecture of systems myself.
My question is could there be an installer designed that will try to detect the systems makeup? like i386 or 64 or power pc ETC.
My x64 installer will not work on my i386 or mack. If there was an installer that detected the system and then downloaded the proper base system packages it would make life a little easier.

Thank You for your great system.
Vern.