Re: Debian training and code review

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 3:59 AM, Lars Wirzenius <liw@liw.fi> wrote:
> Ubuntu has "developer weeks", where various people give hour-long IRC
> training sessions on various topics. We could join them, or have our
> own. Or we could have ad-hoc training sessions, like Debian-Women has
> done, and and is starting to do again.

I think it is also worth mentioning another program in the Ubuntu
community, Packaging Training Sessions [1]. The idea behind this
project was to get developers to give a short session once each week
about some packaging-related topic. Users would also be able to use
this time to ask the instructor questions about the topic. Following
the session, the logs get posted on the wiki [2], where they serve as
a reference for other people looking for information on the topic.
Most of the sessions have been geared towards newer developers, but we
have also had a few for more experienced people. We have also had a
couple of sessions that were nothing more than Q&A or patch review
sessions (where contributors were able to get feedback on their
patches from our group of instructors/developers).

We have had a couple of sessions presented by Debian Developers about
some more Debian-specific areas of packaging (i.e. the BTS and
Packaging Perl Modules), and we would love to hold more of these
sessions in the future (they got a fairly nice sized turnout).

Thanks,
Nathan Handler

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Packaging/Training
[2] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Packaging/Training/Logs